Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is on Monday, January 21. Not only is the day dedicated to celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. King, it is also a day of service. The Corporation for National and Community Service is responsible for organizing the MLK Day of Service and offers the ability to register your own volunteer project or sign up for an existing one in your local community. This is a wonderful opportunity to spend quality time volunteering with your neighbors to help other local community members!
Projects encompass a wide array of categories such as adult education, arts & culture, hunger & homelessness, senior services, and much more. Below are some ideas of projects already organized near Polinger Company apartment communities to consider joining:
- 2401 Pennsylvania Ave – George Washington University’s Honey W. Nasman Center for Civic Engagement & Public Service “MLK Day of Service and Leadership”
- 4000 Massachusetts Ave – DC Tutoring & Mentoring Initiative “Martin Luther King Day of Canvassing Service”
- Bethesda Place – Montgomery County Volunteer Center “Fleece Scarves for the Homeless”
- Brighton Village – Seneca Creek Community Church “MLK Day At Seneca Creek”
- Congressional Towers – City of Rockville “Preparation of Emergency Kits for Displaced Families”
- Country Place – Montgomery Parks “MLK Day of Service – White Oak Park & Stream Cleanup 2019”
- Highland House – Oakland Terrace Elementary School PTA “Bagged Lunches for Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless”
- Highland House West – Rock Creek Conservancy “Help Maintain Rock Creek Park”
- Rollins Park – Montgomery County “2019 MLK Day at Marriott Conference Center”
- The Swift Petworth – Student Conservation Association “Cleanup the Anacostia”
The Polinger Company strives to give back to the local communities of the cities where our properties are located. In addition to the National Day of giving, the #PolingerCares committee plans events throughout the year. Previous events have included a cleanup at Rock Creek Park and providing supplies for The Children’s Inn at NIH. Our next service event will be volunteering at the Capital Area Food Bank on Thursday, January 24.