Moving to a new location can be exhilarating! New restaurants to try, new parks to explore, and new friends to meet. But it can also be a little intimidating. Not everyone is an extrovert who is unphased by trying novel things and meeting people. Here are some helpful tips for exploring your new location within your comfort zone:
It’s springtime! Do you know what that means? Flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, and outdoor activities are popping up all over town! It’s time to dust off your sandals and break out the sunscreen. April is a month dedicated to all things “green”. With Earth Day taking place on April 22 it’s a perfect time to get involved in environmentally-friendly community programs and enjoy the outdoors. Check out some of the fun upcoming events in the area:
- DC Environmental Film Festival: A special screening of one of the films will take place at the Brookside Gardens Visitor Center Auditorium on April 23. Registration is necessary. Get in the “green” mindset with films focused on the environment.
- Montgomery County Greenfest: Sure to be big fun, this event is scheduled for April 28 at the Brookside Gardens. Some activities to expect include but are not limited to, children’s’ face painting, plant sales, arts and crafts, food trucks, and exhibitors.
These events are particularly convenient for our Montgomery County residents including those of Highland House, Highland House West, Bethesda Place, Country Place, Congressional Towers, Rollins Park, and Brighton Village Apartments.
If you suffer from allergies this time of year and would prefer to stay indoors, use your time wisely and spruce up your apartment! The warmer weather makes for wonderful conditions to crack windows and air out your rooms. Consider trying these spring cleaning tips:
- Use a microfiber cloth instead of a traditional duster. They collect dust without spreading it into the air and are washable.
- A door hanging shoe organizer is also perfect for storing your different cleaning solutions and tools.
- Lemon slices are perfect for leaving in your kitchen or bathroom sink to freshen up the pipes.
- Maximize kitchen cabinet space with square or rectangular containers instead of cylindrical ones.
Looking for a new place to call home this spring? Check out the Polinger Company properties in Maryland-Washington, D.C. area. Whether you are looking to live in the suburbs or a city, Polinger has options for you!
The Washington, D.C. Metro Area is a wonderful place to call home because of the endless activities, festivals, and other entertainment offerings throughout the year. As temperatures warm and flowers bloom, there will be plenty of outdoor fun to be had. Mark your calendars for the following Spring 2019 events:
- National Cherry Blossom Festival – This year’s festival takes place March 20 – April 13. The experts predict peak blooms from April 3 – 6. You can check for updates on cherryblossomwatch.com leading up to the festival. The festival draws over one million visitors to Washington, D.C., but if you live at a Polinger Company property you won’t have to travel far! Our communities have easy access to the Metro and public transportation. The Swift Petworth, 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue, and 4000 Massachusetts Avenue are right in NW D.C.!
- Anacostia River Festival – On April 14, join the 11th Street Bridge Park and National Park Service in celebrating the fifth annual Anacostia River Festival. Events include the chance to kayak, canoe, bike, and play games at the beautiful Anacostia Park – it’s turning 100! This fun activity is a great day trip for residents of Bethesda Place, Rollins Park, Highland House, and Highland House West.
- Maryland Wine Month – March is the best month for wine lovers living in Maryland! With 10 wine trails to tour and an extensive calendar of wine-related activities, there is something to do every weekend. Who wouldn’t love to do a Girl Scout Cookie and Wine Pairing tasting?! Cheers to our Maryland residents who will be partaking!
- Baseball Home Openers – Baseball fans are in luck, home opening games are right around the corner! The Washington Nationals’ Home Opener is on March 28 and the Baltimore Orioles’ is on April 4.
- Sugarloaf Craft Festival – This year’s festival takes place April 12-14 at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, MD. Shop for pieces created by local artisans and view live demonstrations. Kids 12 and under are free and adults can save by purchasing a ticket online. Brighton Village residents won’t have to go far to get crafty!
- Passport DC – This event will take place throughout May and offers guests the opportunity to celebrate the myriad of heritages that comprise Washington, D.C. Explore different neighborhoods with D.C. Neighborhood Heritage Trails and Around the World Embassy Tour. Over 70 embassies will be partaking in the month-long cultural celebration. This activity is perfect for D.C. and nearby Maryland residents alike!
If you don’t already live in the area and are looking to make the move, explore the incredible Polinger Company communities that will keep you close to all the fun! From living right in D.C. to the suburbs, there is a place for everyone.
There is never a shortage of fun and festive events in the Maryland and Washington, D.C. areas in the winter. Whether you’re celebrating a holiday or looking to enjoy spectacular light displays, there is something for everyone! Take a look at events near you:
- Brookside Garden of Lights and Model Trains: November 16, 2018 – January 1, 2019
- Gaithersburg Winter Lights Festival at Seneca Creek Parker: November 23 – December 23, 2018
- Festival of Lights at Watkins Regional Park: November 23, 2018 – January 1, 2019
- Light Up Chevy Chase at Chabad Chevy Chase: December 6, 2018
- Riversdale by Candlelight at the Riversdale House Museum: December 29, 2018
- Seasons Greenings at the United States Botanical Gardens: November 22, 2018 – January 1, 2019
- National Christmas Tree Lighting at the White House: November 28, 2018
- BrewLights at ZooLights at the National Zoo: November 29, 2018
- Candlelight Tours presented by Tudor Place Historic House and Garden: December 13, 2018
- Celebrate Kwanzaa with Harambee presented by the Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum at THEARC: December 28, 2018
With so many awesome activities going on, why not be close to all the action? Polinger Company manages a multitude of properties in the Maryland and Washington, D.C. areas. If you are looking to live someplace with frequent, local community events check out one of our wonderful properties! The Swift Petworth, Congressional Towers, and Rollins Park have ZipCar parking to help you get to and from events more easily, or simply hop on the Metro when you live at one of our properties that is just minutes from a Metro station. Discover the perfect property for all your needs.
Summer is here!. Several of our apartment communities feature rooftop decks to help you get out and enjoy the weather, have a swim, do some yoga, or simply relax by a fire pit.
Not only do our 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue and Swift Petworth communities offer gorgeous apartments in NW DC, they’re also perfectly located for spectacular views of the Fourth of July fireworks display on the National Mall.
Each year residents and their guests gather to enjoy food, fun, and fireworks all from the convenience of their own apartment building. The Swift also features yoga classes every Tuesday mornings and Sunday evenings. There are commercial-grade grills that may be reserved for your entertaining needs and a cozy fire pit to warm up the cooler nights. 2401 Pennsylvania Ave. treats its residents to some of the best views of Georgetown and Foggy Bottom from its rooftop terrace creating a calming oasis away from the bustling city.
Only a few miles outside of DC in downtown Chevy Chase, MD, you’ll find Highland House and Highland House West Apartments. These two sister buildings sit in the well-landscaped neighborhood of Friendship Village and both feature rooftop sundecks with swimming pools. Shaded tables line the sundecks to provide a comfortable outdoors for all visitors. The large swimming pools are appointed with lush greenery and relaxing lawn chairs to provide the ultimate relaxing experience. The beautiful tree-lined views sprinkled with the cityscape provide a unique panoramic view. Both communities treat their residents to a refreshing atmosphere suitable for all ages high above the busy city.
It’s great to take advantage of these amenities during the hot summers of Washington, DC and Maryland. A rooftop deck and swimming pool can make a “staycation” feel like a true getaway. For more information on Polinger Company and apartments to rent, visit polingerco.com.