Moving to a new location can be exhilarating! New restaurants to try, new parks to explore, and new friends to meet. But it can also be a little intimidating. Not everyone is an extrovert who is unphased by trying novel things and meeting people. Here are some helpful tips for exploring your new location within your comfort zone:
Moving into your first apartment is a big accomplishment! Why not celebrate the big moment with some fun and practical products? This list of 12 gifts for yourself covers everything from helpful tech to unique decor:
- A robotic vacuum cleaner to tackle “crummy” situations with minimal effort on your part. Perfect for the lush carpeting at Brighton Village Apartments.
- Our residents at Bethesda Place don’t need this because they have an on-site Peet’s Coffee. But an otherwise great gift is never having to choose between a quick single serve cup or ground coffee again with the 2-in-1 brewer.
- The TubShroom hair catcher is a clever tool to protect your shower drain from getting clogged by hair.
- Playful decorative pillows are the perfect way to add a personal touch to your new space.
- A magnetic keyholder is the perfect tool to help you keep track of your apartment keys. No more rummaging around on your way out the door to catch the Metro! Perfect for Polinger Company property residents that live near a Metro station.
- Add to the fresh air of your garden apartment at Rollins Park by clicking on an essential oil diffuser at the end of the day. It is the perfect way to unwind.
- Brighten up your living room with this unique Cherry Blossom table lamp – an especially cool piece for those living in the Washington, D.C. area! Or, just look out your window when you’re a resident at Congressional Towers! The cherry trees in the courtyard are an amazing amenity.
- Even though 4000 Massachusetts Avenue doesn’t allow pets, a small, modern fish tank that any HGTV star would approve of, would work nicely.
- Ideal for storage, displaying decor, or bibliophiles’ book collections, this contemporary four-tier shelf is multifunctional. Perfect for the retro-chic style at Highland House Apartments.
- Save space in the shower by consolidating your different products using this clever shower dispenser. Remember, never install something that will leave damages. Opt for removable velcro strips and hooks.
- This hanging door hamper is ideal for conserving floor space in your bedroom, bathroom, or laundry area. Perfect to help organize your space with your in-home washer and dryer at Country Place Apartments.
- Test out your green thumb with this LED indoor garden! Perfect for city apartments such as The Swift Petworth or 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Find the perfect apartment to call home with Polinger Company!
On February 2, Phil the Groundhog predicted an early spring. What better reason to get ahead on spring cleaning? Whether you are currently living in a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartment home, it never hurts to periodically declutter belongings and update the decor. Here are tips and tricks that’ll help freshen up your space:
1. Get Rid of Clutter
Decluttering is the first step you’ll want to take towards a tidier apartment. Go through your closets, kitchen cabinets and drawers, under beds, and other places that tend to collect clutter. Donate clothes you haven’t worn in months, get rid of mismatched or duplicate kitchen items, and if you have gadgets or toys that haven’t been touched in a while, it’s time to let them go.
2. Brighten Your Space
Supplement your natural lighting with a new lamp. Floor and end table lamps offer the opportunity for brighter lighting and a new decorative piece. Sun lamps can help you get through the remaining winter days until the sun is up longer. Highland House West and Highland House offer floor to ceiling windows, making extra lighting a tip you can skip!
3. Be a Plant Parent
Fake or real, a plant can spruce up any space! From tiny succulents to larger potted plants, having greenery in the home adds a tasteful, spring element. If you’re feeling ambitious and your apartment has a balcony, you may want to give growing your own produce a shot once the weather is ideal. All apartment plans in Bethesda Place and 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue offer balconies. Brighton Village and Rollins Park offer a balcony or patio depending on the floor plan.
4. Use Aroma Therapy Instead of Candles
Diffusers for essential oils are a perfect replacement for candles. They offer the versatility of changing scents as desired and the oils can help relieve stress, headaches, and more depending on the type. Lemon is the perfect scent for a fresh and clean smelling apartment! Many diffusers come with the option of color changing lights making it both a useful and aesthetically fun addition to your apartment.
5. Make Thrifty Decor Updates
Freshen up your living room by putting new pillow covers on your throw pillows, no need to buy whole new pillows. Give old picture frames a fresh coat of paint, create a headboard from plywood, or add wallpaper to your bookcase. There are endless resources online for fun crafts that are affordable and boost the atmosphere of your space with a personal touch.
For those looking to make a space their own, explore the many fabulous apartment communities managed by Polinger Company. Our portfolio of apartments offers locations in the Washington, D.C. metro area and Maryland. Your new apartment home awaits!
It’s no secret that when you think “winter” in the mid-Atlantic, you think of slush and snow. Sometimes as early as October. And sometimes as late as March. Luckily, Washington, D.C. and the surrounding metropolitan area in Maryland offers a host of living options that will keep you warm and entertained all season long. Here are just some of the benefits of apartment living in the winter:
On-site Fitness Center:
While you may feel inclined to stay curled up on the couch all winter, motivation to exercise is easier to find when you have an on-site fitness facility. Residents of Highland House, Highland House West, Congressional Towers, Rollins Park, Country Place, Brighton Village, and The Swift Petworth all have access to their community’s 24/7 fitness center. Cardio, strength training, and yoga don’t have to wait until the spring!
No Parking Spot Anxiety
One of the biggest wintertime hassles for homeowners is digging out their driveways during a snowstorm. Even more anxiety-ridden are those that live in a city and have to compete for parking spots. Skip the stress and backache. Enjoy the comforts of garage parking at 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue, The Swift Petworth, Bethesda Place, Highland House, and Highland House West.
Commute On the Metro
Forget about cars and parking spots altogether by commuting using the Metro. Traveling during the winter is especially hectic with road closures, plowing schedules, and dangerous conditions. Avoiding traffic and the weather conditions are just two of the many benefits of using the Metro. Congressional Towers, Rollins Park, Bethesda Place, Highland House, Highland House West, and The Swift Petworth are located three blocks or closer to a station.
Proximity to Grocery Stores
Homes are never attached to grocery stores, but some apartments are! The Swift Petworth has a Safeway onsite. Residents enjoy the convenience of stocking up on groceries with minimal outdoor exposure. When the forecast calls for a snowstorm, stores are often inundated by the panicked public. However, residents have such ease of access to the store, they can beat the crowds!
One of the best perks of apartment living is organized events and activities hosted by the community staff. No need to watch the same show on Netflix for the fourth time when you could be participating in a paint night, hot cocoa bar, or cookie exchange! Additionally, Brighton Village, Country Place Apartments, Congressional Towers, and Rollins Park offer large recreation rooms that residents can take advantage of throughout the year.
Looking to make a move? Check out all of the properties managed by the Polinger Company and live a life of convenience and comfort!
Make 2019 the year that you achieve all your apartment related goals! Recent studies show that nearly 80% of New Year’s Resolutions are abandoned within a couple of months.¹ Setting small, short-term goals for yourself throughout the year is one of the best ways to stay on target. From sprucing up your existing space to utilizing community resources, here are some achievable resolution ideas to make the most of apartment living: