Moving to a new location can be exhilarating! New restaurants to try, new parks to explore, and new friends to meet. But it can also be a little intimidating. Not everyone is an extrovert who is unphased by trying novel things and meeting people. Here are some helpful tips for exploring your new location within your comfort zone:
It’s springtime! Do you know what that means? Flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, and outdoor activities are popping up all over town! It’s time to dust off your sandals and break out the sunscreen. April is a month dedicated to all things “green”. With Earth Day taking place on April 22 it’s a perfect time to get involved in environmentally-friendly community programs and enjoy the outdoors. Check out some of the fun upcoming events in the area:
- DC Environmental Film Festival: A special screening of one of the films will take place at the Brookside Gardens Visitor Center Auditorium on April 23. Registration is necessary. Get in the “green” mindset with films focused on the environment.
- Montgomery County Greenfest: Sure to be big fun, this event is scheduled for April 28 at the Brookside Gardens. Some activities to expect include but are not limited to, children’s’ face painting, plant sales, arts and crafts, food trucks, and exhibitors.
These events are particularly convenient for our Montgomery County residents including those of Highland House, Highland House West, Bethesda Place, Country Place, Congressional Towers, Rollins Park, and Brighton Village Apartments.
If you suffer from allergies this time of year and would prefer to stay indoors, use your time wisely and spruce up your apartment! The warmer weather makes for wonderful conditions to crack windows and air out your rooms. Consider trying these spring cleaning tips:
- Use a microfiber cloth instead of a traditional duster. They collect dust without spreading it into the air and are washable.
- A door hanging shoe organizer is also perfect for storing your different cleaning solutions and tools.
- Lemon slices are perfect for leaving in your kitchen or bathroom sink to freshen up the pipes.
- Maximize kitchen cabinet space with square or rectangular containers instead of cylindrical ones.
Looking for a new place to call home this spring? Check out the Polinger Company properties in Maryland-Washington, D.C. area. Whether you are looking to live in the suburbs or a city, Polinger has options for you!
Moving into your first apartment is a big accomplishment! Why not celebrate the big moment with some fun and practical products? This list of 12 gifts for yourself covers everything from helpful tech to unique decor:
- A robotic vacuum cleaner to tackle “crummy” situations with minimal effort on your part. Perfect for the lush carpeting at Brighton Village Apartments.
- Our residents at Bethesda Place don’t need this because they have an on-site Peet’s Coffee. But an otherwise great gift is never having to choose between a quick single serve cup or ground coffee again with the 2-in-1 brewer.
- The TubShroom hair catcher is a clever tool to protect your shower drain from getting clogged by hair.
- Playful decorative pillows are the perfect way to add a personal touch to your new space.
- A magnetic keyholder is the perfect tool to help you keep track of your apartment keys. No more rummaging around on your way out the door to catch the Metro! Perfect for Polinger Company property residents that live near a Metro station.
- Add to the fresh air of your garden apartment at Rollins Park by clicking on an essential oil diffuser at the end of the day. It is the perfect way to unwind.
- Brighten up your living room with this unique Cherry Blossom table lamp – an especially cool piece for those living in the Washington, D.C. area! Or, just look out your window when you’re a resident at Congressional Towers! The cherry trees in the courtyard are an amazing amenity.
- Even though 4000 Massachusetts Avenue doesn’t allow pets, a small, modern fish tank that any HGTV star would approve of, would work nicely.
- Ideal for storage, displaying decor, or bibliophiles’ book collections, this contemporary four-tier shelf is multifunctional. Perfect for the retro-chic style at Highland House Apartments.
- Save space in the shower by consolidating your different products using this clever shower dispenser. Remember, never install something that will leave damages. Opt for removable velcro strips and hooks.
- This hanging door hamper is ideal for conserving floor space in your bedroom, bathroom, or laundry area. Perfect to help organize your space with your in-home washer and dryer at Country Place Apartments.
- Test out your green thumb with this LED indoor garden! Perfect for city apartments such as The Swift Petworth or 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Find the perfect apartment to call home with Polinger Company!
The Washington, D.C. Metro Area is a wonderful place to call home because of the endless activities, festivals, and other entertainment offerings throughout the year. As temperatures warm and flowers bloom, there will be plenty of outdoor fun to be had. Mark your calendars for the following Spring 2019 events:
- National Cherry Blossom Festival – This year’s festival takes place March 20 – April 13. The experts predict peak blooms from April 3 – 6. You can check for updates on cherryblossomwatch.com leading up to the festival. The festival draws over one million visitors to Washington, D.C., but if you live at a Polinger Company property you won’t have to travel far! Our communities have easy access to the Metro and public transportation. The Swift Petworth, 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue, and 4000 Massachusetts Avenue are right in NW D.C.!
- Anacostia River Festival – On April 14, join the 11th Street Bridge Park and National Park Service in celebrating the fifth annual Anacostia River Festival. Events include the chance to kayak, canoe, bike, and play games at the beautiful Anacostia Park – it’s turning 100! This fun activity is a great day trip for residents of Bethesda Place, Rollins Park, Highland House, and Highland House West.
- Maryland Wine Month – March is the best month for wine lovers living in Maryland! With 10 wine trails to tour and an extensive calendar of wine-related activities, there is something to do every weekend. Who wouldn’t love to do a Girl Scout Cookie and Wine Pairing tasting?! Cheers to our Maryland residents who will be partaking!
- Baseball Home Openers – Baseball fans are in luck, home opening games are right around the corner! The Washington Nationals’ Home Opener is on March 28 and the Baltimore Orioles’ is on April 4.
- Sugarloaf Craft Festival – This year’s festival takes place April 12-14 at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, MD. Shop for pieces created by local artisans and view live demonstrations. Kids 12 and under are free and adults can save by purchasing a ticket online. Brighton Village residents won’t have to go far to get crafty!
- Passport DC – This event will take place throughout May and offers guests the opportunity to celebrate the myriad of heritages that comprise Washington, D.C. Explore different neighborhoods with D.C. Neighborhood Heritage Trails and Around the World Embassy Tour. Over 70 embassies will be partaking in the month-long cultural celebration. This activity is perfect for D.C. and nearby Maryland residents alike!
If you don’t already live in the area and are looking to make the move, explore the incredible Polinger Company communities that will keep you close to all the fun! From living right in D.C. to the suburbs, there is a place for everyone.
On February 2, Phil the Groundhog predicted an early spring. What better reason to get ahead on spring cleaning? Whether you are currently living in a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartment home, it never hurts to periodically declutter belongings and update the decor. Here are tips and tricks that’ll help freshen up your space:
1. Get Rid of Clutter
Decluttering is the first step you’ll want to take towards a tidier apartment. Go through your closets, kitchen cabinets and drawers, under beds, and other places that tend to collect clutter. Donate clothes you haven’t worn in months, get rid of mismatched or duplicate kitchen items, and if you have gadgets or toys that haven’t been touched in a while, it’s time to let them go.
2. Brighten Your Space
Supplement your natural lighting with a new lamp. Floor and end table lamps offer the opportunity for brighter lighting and a new decorative piece. Sun lamps can help you get through the remaining winter days until the sun is up longer. Highland House West and Highland House offer floor to ceiling windows, making extra lighting a tip you can skip!
3. Be a Plant Parent
Fake or real, a plant can spruce up any space! From tiny succulents to larger potted plants, having greenery in the home adds a tasteful, spring element. If you’re feeling ambitious and your apartment has a balcony, you may want to give growing your own produce a shot once the weather is ideal. All apartment plans in Bethesda Place and 2401 Pennsylvania Avenue offer balconies. Brighton Village and Rollins Park offer a balcony or patio depending on the floor plan.
4. Use Aroma Therapy Instead of Candles
Diffusers for essential oils are a perfect replacement for candles. They offer the versatility of changing scents as desired and the oils can help relieve stress, headaches, and more depending on the type. Lemon is the perfect scent for a fresh and clean smelling apartment! Many diffusers come with the option of color changing lights making it both a useful and aesthetically fun addition to your apartment.
5. Make Thrifty Decor Updates
Freshen up your living room by putting new pillow covers on your throw pillows, no need to buy whole new pillows. Give old picture frames a fresh coat of paint, create a headboard from plywood, or add wallpaper to your bookcase. There are endless resources online for fun crafts that are affordable and boost the atmosphere of your space with a personal touch.
For those looking to make a space their own, explore the many fabulous apartment communities managed by Polinger Company. Our portfolio of apartments offers locations in the Washington, D.C. metro area and Maryland. Your new apartment home awaits!