Autumn weather is officially in full swing. Before you know it November 22 will be here – Thanksgiving Day! People often have fond memories of the holiday including everything from watching football to the large meal shared with loved ones. Guests at a party can enjoy it carefree, but the host sometimes becomes frazzled from all the multitasking required to pull off the perfect party. Hosting the holiday can be stressful; cleaning, cooking, and entertaining take a lot of time and energy. Here are some tips and tricks for hosting Thanksgiving in your apartment:
- Tidy up in advance: If the thought of cleaning your apartment from top to bottom in one day seems unrealistic for you, try taking it one day at a time. Start the Monday of Thanksgiving week by tackling two or three tasks each evening such as scrubbing the bathroom, folding the laundry, and loading the dishwasher. By Thursday your space will be sparkling!
- Make a timeline: It can be helpful to make a tentative timeline for yourself of when guests will be arriving, when to put out appetizers, dinner time, and even how long you anticipate guests staying as they nurse food comas! Setting reminders and timers on your cell phone are other ways to remind yourself of things such as when it’s time to start baking the biscuits.
- Frozen produce are your friend: When it comes time to get cooking the turkey might actually be the easiest part. Prepare it how you wish and just pop it in the oven. The tricky part is timing all your side dishes to be hot when the main dish is ready. Using frozen veggies such as string beans, cubed squash, and even mashed potatoes will make life easier when all you have to do is steam them in the microwave or simmer on the stove just before the turkey is done. They also help you save precious space in your fridge to chill beverages and desserts.
- Maximize space: If you are hosting a large crowd, maximize space by rearranging some “non-essential” furniture such as end tables or large lamps. Temporarily moving just a few items can open up quite a bit of space for socializing.
- Ask for help: Crafting the perfect holiday gathering on your own can be overwhelming, don’t be afraid to ask a guest or two to arrive early and help set the table or cook!
Hosting Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be an intimidating task when you live at one of the Polinger Company properties. Each of our communities boasts unique kitchen features that will make preparing your feast easy and enjoyable. Bethesda Place and Highland House feature granite countertops, the perfect place to slice and dice! Country Place and Brighton Village offer gas cooking and eat-in kitchens. Guests will be impressed by the modern Cleansteel™ appliances located in The Swift Petworth. They will be begging you to host again next year!